Monday, August 15, 2005

Yet another Independence Day!

I woke up this morning early enough to catch the DD live telecast of the Prime Minister's address to the nation from the Red Fort. Well, for those who cared there was the usual address from any Indian Prime Minister rehashed to suit the current trends.

I also went and bought a copy of the lastest issues of India Today, The Week, Outlook to go through their I-Day specials. Interesting reading, they make!

Amongst a lot of resolutions that we hear during this particular week of intense patriotic display, there is one I personally wish to see happening and that is the entry of youngsters like you and me into politics! Whoever, said 'Politics is the last resort of a rascal'!?

I read of the MIT Pune's initiative in launching a one year programme in governance for those who want to get a formal qualification to get into politics (that's the last thing you ever want in today's politics, probably). T N Seshan is the chief advisor and the initiator of the idea along with Dr. Karad of MIT. That was a couple of months ago. This is one iniative to watch for!

Political parties must take it upon themselves to have a succession plan for encouraging young blood into the party affairs. They do have something like that - a 70 year old pary veteran taking up the reigns from a much younger person.

Well, what am I doing new this Independence day? I just bought Khushwant Singh's 'India An Introduction' and hope to see history through the eyes of one of my favourite writers!

No comments: